- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 9 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- pureed in a food processor
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk for egg wash
Cream the cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light.
Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the salt and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add the flour and mix until just combined.
Dump the dough out onto a well floured board and roll it into a ball. Cut the ball in quarters, wrap each piece in plastic and refridgerate for 1 hour.
To make filling, combine 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar, the brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the raisins and walnuts.
On a well floured board, roll each ball of dough into a 9 inch circle.
Spread the dough with 2 tablespoons of apricot preserves and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the filling.
Press the filling lightly into the dough/ Cut the circle into 12 equal wedges - cutting the whole curcle in quarters, then each quarter into thirds.
Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place the cookies, points tucked under, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Brush each cookie with the egg wash.
Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on the cookies.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack and let cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies